It is fascinating as to how the world of content marketing is evolving in the digital space. Many things are shifting near content, social media, etc. It is has become critical for businesses to be equipped and proficient in managing their content in many forms. However, for your content to be engaging and attractive it should be marketed properly and attractive to the right audience though.
First and foremost, what is Content marketing? According to the Content Marketing Institute, “Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action”.
In my own words, it is a form of marketing focused on creating, publishing, and distributing content for a targeted audience online. Most businesses use content marketing in the following ways:
- Increase brand awareness online
- Lead generation – Increase online sales/revenue
- Expand the customer base (Market share)
- Engage an online community of users
Instead of continuously selling your products or services, you are providing truly relevant and useful content to your prospects and customers to help them solve their issues. In spite of what type of marketing strategy you use, content marketing should be part of your process, not something separate.
The Internet of Things makes it easy so content can be found in many forms. This includes content that may be available through mobile devices of all kinds. Based on this fundamental understanding of content marketing, let me take this opportunity to expand on why it is essential for every online business.
Here are the 6 important benefits of having a content marketing strategy.
- Increase Brand Awareness: Current customers have a strong appetite for good information but more powerful resistance to the so-called “hard sell.” Majority of us research products and services online before making a purchase. We shop smart online now and compare process before setting foot to the high street – isn’t it? Having the right kind of content does help increase web traffic significantly so that your audience remains consistent and know your brand. Examples of such content include social media posts, videos, eBooks, white paper, case studies/customer success stories, and infographics.
Consumer now wants good content that helps them make good informed decisions, but they don’t like being sold. Consumers are less responsive to traditional advertising and old-school sales tactics, and this is true for both B2C and B2B consumers
2. Higher Organic Ranking Benefit: Google ranks content that is relevant, informative, educative and resonates with the target audience in search results. Although search engine algorithms keep changing, focusing on best practice does in the long term pay good results.
When customers turn to search engines for solutions to their problems, it’s always best if your content does show up higher up on SERP results. This is the perfect opportunity to win new customers and being there with the relevant tailored ready content. The best opportunity to win new customers is to be there when they Google (search) keywords related to your product or service.
Google frequently updates its algorithm and rewards good quality and relevant content as well as punishes low-quality ones. Search engines like good, fresh content, so following this frequency and updating existing content would yield better results for your content published. Another good rule of thumb is to write content for the reader/customer and research and use long-tail keywords to address the pain point if the user. This makes your content user-friendly as well as SEO friendly.
3. Social Media Presence and Building your content. If you are an expert in your field, then know that there are many others like you trying to do the same. It’s not very difficult to claim anyway, right? Nevertheless, if you constantly build your content through uniqueness and creativity, it is quite possible that your content picks up unimaginable momentum in this digital space and gets seen by many more people than you initially guessed. Moreover, if people are willing to share your content on their accounts on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn – you’re already way ahead in the game.
4. Improved brand reputation. When people read your content, they are going to create an impression of your brand or company. If they find what they’re reading helpful, relevant, insightful or enlightening, they’ll think of your brand more highly going forward. I subscribe to a lot of brands in the digital space and enjoy consuming their content just because they have great amazing content.
Besides, if they see your content being published on external sources and appearing on their social news feeds, they will perceive you as a more trustworthy, established industry thought leader.
5. Content marketing scales up your retargeting audience.
One of the most effective digital marketing strategies for brands normally deploy is to set up display ads of their products to those who visit their product pages, yet leave the site before purchasing a product. This is especially a common strategy employed by eCommerce, hospitality, leisure, and travel industry.
Remarketing campaigns are effective and easy to build. They can drive a high return on investment (ROI). They give you a second chance at converting those ‘could-have-been’ customers. If you found that people interacted with your Facebook page, website, or blog but didn’t end up buying your products, you can get them back to your site to buy. So, therefore, writing creative and effective content is key. Content is king….
6. Increased enquiries or conversion potential. Your primary objectives with content are to engage, inform, reinforce, persuade, help, and bring value for your readership as well as the audience. Once that’s taken care of, you can use any remaining space you have to pitch one of your products or services. If done tactfully, you can easily increase the number of conversions you get for brands.
In conclusion, Content marketing is inexpensive, safe, available for anyone in any industry, and beneficial in many different areas. The sooner you start investing in it, the sooner you’ll start to see results, and the better results you’ll eventually see. Whether you’re in it for the increased traffic, higher conversion rates, or just better relationships with your customers, there’s no reason content marketing shouldn’t be included in your marketing strategy. It’s should be the critical and most important asset to trust in the engine of your marketing campaign moving forward.
As always, get at me in the comments with suggestions, success stories, and anything else about how you’re getting even more out of these blogs.